Local health departments register and inspect tattoo, body piercing and ear piercing studios. Anyone providing tattooing or piercing services must be registered with their local health department and working in a permitted studio.
- Tattoo and body piercing studios are inspected twice per year.
- Ear piercing studios are inspected once per year.
- Additional inspections are conducted on a complaint basis.
- The main areas of an inspection include sterilization, proper procedures, employee hygiene, waste disposal and record keeping.
- Tattoo artists, body piercers and ear piercers registration: $20
- Tattoo and body piercing studio certification: $100
- Ear piercing studio certification: $25